Sunday, May 9, 2010

Stuck on Reading

I am currently reading five books. This is a little unusual for me, although I usually have at least two on the go. They are listed below in order of 'like':


This one has taken me almost a month but I am almost finished. It is a little slow going at times but well worth the effort. There are lots of places where you need to stop and do little exercises. I am definitely going to set up his filing system. For any one that needs a little organization in their life, this is a good place to start. It is written by David Bach and this is the Canadian edition.


I have liked all of Amy Tan's books particularly The Joy Luck Club. I received Saving Fish from Drowning for Christmas and started reading it in January. It is just as good as her others but I got stuck some time back on the karma of work animals and have not been able to pick it up again. I am sure I will get back to it on a sunny afternoon by the pool where I know I will not necessarily fall asleep with terrible images in my head.


I have just started An Irish Country Christmas. (I enjoy reading books set in winter on hot summer days.) It will be prime pool/deck reading this summer. I read and enjoyed An Irish Country Doctor also by Patrick Taylor awhile back. Patrick Taylor is an Irishman who lives in Canada most of the time.




Frank McCourt, another Irishman, this one transplanted to the U.S, wrote Teacher Man about his years as a high school teacher in New York. I loved his first book Angla's Ashes but not so much his second book 'Tis. This one is more like his first, but it got lost under my bed a few weeks ago and I just retrieved it today. This is good nighttime reading as it is interesting but not so riveting that you stay up half the night reading.


I have been trying to read Voyages of Hope, The Saga of the Bride-Ships by Peter Johnson for several months now. I just seem to have something better to read each night. But I am interested in BC history, particularly the hardships women faced in the early years in British Columbia. The first hundred or so pages were quite readable. I just seem to have hit a dull part. Hopefully I can finish this one on the beach this summer as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment