Sunday, May 30, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

Our doubts are traitors,
And make us lose the good we oft might win.
By fearing to attempt.
William Shakespeare, "Measure for Measure", Act 1 scene 4 ...

On one hand, we are encouraged to trust our gut. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

On the other hand, we may be missing out on opportunities just because we have doubts - about timing, about value, about the future.

A number of decisions lately have not been black and white and my tendency is to do nothing. I used to be good at making decisions, even if some weren't the best ones. Overall, I was willing to take some chances, or at least a few leaps of faith. And, most
of the time, everything turned out o.k.

Lately, I have been trying to decide whether to look for a new car or stick with my old car; take a major vacation now when the dollar is good or in a year or so when it may be much more convenient, redecorate my condo (remove old carpet, paint, etc.) or wait awhile.
Dragging my feet on redecorating this past year means I have lost out on possible tax credits for this. Dragging my feet on my car might mean major repairs down the road.

I don't even know which should be a priority, if any.

1 comment:

  1. Your quanderies sound pretty universal. I suppose we'll all just muddle through!

    ReplyDelete