Monday, May 3, 2010

Minnekhada

My daughter calls me Mary Poppins because I take my umbrella on our Sunday afternoon walk/hikes. This week we decided to explore Minnekhada Regional Park in Coquitlam. The walks are along a marsh area and through some rock bluffs and cliffs. I need to find an umbrella that also works as a walking stick so that I can make my way up and down slippery rocks.

After about an hour of walking, when the intermittent rain seemed to be more on than off, we decided to explore the hunting lodge which gives this area its name. Acquired by the GVRD in 1981, this lodge was built in 1934 by Eric Hamber and later owned by Colonel Wallace both former Lieutenant-Governors of BC and was used for entertaining the wealthy and famous, including royalty. Today it is used mainly for weddings and conferences.

The period furniture is a little sparse but the architecture is very interesting - from the same era and in the same quality as Hycroft in Shaunessy, yet in a rustic Scottish Hunting Lodge theme. This would be a great place to have a Sunday, summer picnic. The lodge is only open to the public between 1 and 4 p.m. on Sundays.

http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/Minnekhada01.html

No comments:

Post a Comment