Thursday, April 15, 2010

LDS Temple

Emotionally, I think I should have a little religion in my life; intellectually, I always manage to talk myself out of it.

I am interested in religion - most religions. I have always thought that the Pope and the Dalai Lama and the heads of all major religions should meet once a year to discuss their common ground like love and peace for starters. This could be the equivalent of the G8 for religion.

I am always amazed at similarities in very diverse religions.

My knowledge of the LDS Church expanded as I became involved with researching my own family history. When I heard that I could see inside a temple without actually converting to Mormanism, I jumped at the chance this week.

The LDS Church has built the first Western Canadian Temple in Langley, BC. As it won't be dedicated and consecrated until May of this year, the church, in interests of transparency, has opened the temple for the public for tours until the 24th of April.

It is well worth the trip out to Langley for the architecture alone. It has amazing stained glass windows, marble floors, crystal chandeliers and much, much more.

Check out this website first though http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/vancouver/

2 comments:

  1. "I have always thought that the Pope and the Dalai Lama and the heads of all major religions should meet once a year to discuss their common ground like love and peace for starters. This could be the equivalent of the G8 for religion." I have always said that myself. Too true!

    I had no idea that beautiful church was being built in Langley. I'm going to have to go and see it. It's wonderful...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The furniture and the gardens are exquisite as well. I am sure you will enjoy going. We found good parking right by the temple. There was no need to stop in the first parking lot and wait for a shuttle. The whole tour takes about 40 minutes as there is a short video at the beginning and juice and cookies at the end, if you are so inclined. People are around to answer questions but it is very easy and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete