Monday, June 7, 2010

Salmon Berries

This is a photo of the Salmonberry blossom. In very short order these flowers become berries.


I notice the salmon berries are ripe now. These are usually the first berries to ripen around here. While they are not as flavourful as raspberries, they are usually available about two weeks before our garden variety raspberries.


I haven't picked any yet as they grow wild and I am waiting for some company to help me. I don't want to compete with the local bears. If there are two or three of us, hopefully we can make enough noise to keep the bears away.









1 comment:

  1. Ah ha! That's answered a question for me. The other day L and I were out for a walk on a local greenway. I saw something that looked like a raspberry but it didn't seem very likely, given that the area was quite wild. I didn't know whether to try one, fearing it may not be fit to eat but I was puzzled. Now I'm thinking it could be one of these. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the flower looked like so I will have to return and take another look. Thank you for your informative post.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete