Sunday, August 9, 2009

How I Spent My Summer (Vacation?)

Does anyone remember those painful essays we had to write during the first week of school in September? I still think of my potential subject matter after all these years. There is something about preparing for September! Even though my children have long left school behind them, I still get the feeling of new beginnings this time of year. The first of September, like the first of January, is a time to make plans. The brochures are out with all the new offerings, - interesting activities - intriguing night school courses - the possibility of meeting new people - and maybe even changing direction. But first of all, I need to reflect (write about) my summer which is passing by so quickly.











My garden around the first of July:





We have had a long and, for Vancouver, an extremely hot summer with little or no rain. Consequently I have spent most of my time out of doors - walking, biking, gardening, swimming, shopping and for the most part being lazy (except for a two week course compliments of the federal government in an air conditioned Douglas College). My garden has done exceptionally well both for vegetables and weeds. I have a bumper crop of tomatoes just beginning to ripen now. The first five or six while quite small in size have been delicious. I have also read a few books, nothing exceptional, and watched a few movies, two of which impressed me.

Food Inc. is a documentary and it has haunted me since I watched it a few weeks ago. I just wish there was something more that we could do to improve the lives of 'factory' animals. Just boycotting the products from these 'industrial farms' just doesn't seem to be enough.

http://www.foodincmovie.com/

On a happier note, I watched Julie & Julia last night and it was absolutely delightful. In spite of a less than stellar performance by Meryl Streep, (I knew the whole time that this was Meryl playing Julia), this movie entranced me. I highly recommend it. Today I taped the Julia Child Special on PBS for comparison. And it has brought me back to blogging again!

This is Julie's website. http://blogs.salon.com/0001399/

No comments:

Post a Comment