Sunday, May 24, 2009

Outliers



Malcolm Gladwell and Bill Bryson are my two favourite non-fiction writers. Both are easy to read, enjoyable and informative. Outliers, Gladwell's third book that I have read, is all this and more.

Outliers looks beyond the obvious and simplistic to explain success. It is done in both an entertaining and at the same time a lecture-like way. Gladwell shows how culture is an active participant in outcomes, both good and bad. He has no compunction about discussing subjects we avoid in our politically correct environment. He has reinforced for me the importance of knowing and understanding our own histories.

One recurring theme in my family concerns the idea of hard work. That is sometimes the main defining characteristic of family and friends. I can still hear my mom saying, "He may drink a lot but he has never missed a day's work over it and his house and gardens are always immaculate". If a person was a hard worker, a lot could be forgiven. I am now wondering if that concept originates way back in her ancestry. And, just how much does my ancestry affect my thought patterns?

I am certainly thinking about the world a little differently now.

http://www.gladwell.com/

2 comments:

  1. Certainly every family is different when it comes to work ethics and patterns. Some families think it is ok to chill out all day and not do a stroke of work and others are on the go all the time. What is hard if for one type to accept that what the other type does is ok. Just because we are different to other people, it doesn't mean we are better. Do you agree?
    I have never read any of Gladwell's books yet, but you reviewed him well and it has wetted my appetite.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Star, I agree with you. Gladwell says that our work ethic has to do with our ancestry several generations back. If you come from a herding culture (like shepherds) or a farming culture (growing wheat), you will have different work standards and values. If you come from a northern culture where once-upon-a-time you had to virtually hibernate to survive a winter, you will have a different work ethic than someone who comes from a warmer climate. It is controversial stuff but he handles it well. I just read an article on the Danes who are the happiest people on the planet and they apparently don't work too hard. Marlene

    ReplyDelete