Sunday, May 31, 2009


I tend to read a lot of books I regret. The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus is one of these. The gist of this book - Nanny = good, Park Avenue Parent = bad.

http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=29142&cgi=product&isbn=0312291639

Just after I finished this book, by coincidence, while channel surfing last night, I found Six Degrees of Separation and watched it for the second time, having seen it in a theatre several years ago. It intrigued me then and has again. The theme of this is - Park Avenue Parent = multifaceted. These parents are dealing with the complexities of life (con artists invading their homes; living their own form of hand-to-mouth; maintaining their fast-paced life style) with logic and love and compassion and arrogance and intelligence and flaws. Their pampered, over-indulged older teenage children, in spite of their angst and despair, come together, albeit unwillingly, to help them solve their problem. In the end, while nothing is resolved, the parents have come to realize that you can't always have what you want and at the same time that other people want want you have, even if what you have is not all that great. Chaos and Control, something we all deal with in life, is exemplified so well in this film.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108149/

Have you ever noticed how often two aspects of the same thing, e.g. Park Avenue parents, often present themselves at the same time.

If you liked The Devil Wears Prada, you will like The Nanny Diaries as well.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing how our children get a hold on our emotions, isn't it! I have not seen the film you talk about, but I can already identify with it. I can remember the Nanny days too, very well and of the two, give me the Nanny days. Teenagers are such hard work!
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Star, If you get the chance to see Six Degrees of Separation, I think you will really enjoy it. I am soooo glad my kids are adults now. Marlene

    ReplyDelete