Saturday, March 14, 2009

Touch of Genius














A film about Van Gogh will open at the Omnimax Theatre at Science World today.  It's at the top of my list of 'things to do'.


My last encounter with Van Gogh was in Tokyo a couple of years ago.   When I found an English advertisement for an art gallery that would be exhibiting one of Van Gogh's sunflowers for a limited time, I made it a priority to go.   This was not an easy task.  I was unfamiliar with the company sponsoring the event and the streets of Tokyo are rarely named or numbered.   And, of course, I don't speak Japanese.  

On the third day of attempting to find this exhibit, after finding the right subway line and exit, and a considerable walk, I found the high rise office tower containing the art gallery in a plaza. The heavy glass doors had the poster of the exhibit.  The enormous marble foyer had more indications that a Van Gogh painting was on display.  

After taking one of the high speed elevators to the top floor, and paying a nominal fee, I entered two large exhibit rooms of both Asian and European paintings and sculpture.  This rivaled our National Gallery plus it had amazing panoramic views of Toyko.  I expected to find Van Gogh around every corner.   

It was not until I reached the end of the gallery that I found a small room indicating that it contained three European Masters.  There on an alter-like setting were three easels with what should have been the Sunflowers in the middle.  Instead there was the poster with Japanese writing and English words "coming soon".  

When I went back to the speak to the girl at the entry, she told me that the painting was 'too popular' and was held over at the last exhibit.  And, when did she expect it to arrive here.....mmmm maybe three months,  mmmmm maybe six months.

Recently, I set up another blog which will be dedicated to family photos and history that I have collected over the years.  While I was able to set it up and create one posting, I am not able to get back into it.   Each time I try, this blog overrides it.  And, the help hasn't been helpful.  Is there some way that I can access and 'create new' in both blogs from one spot?






3 comments:

  1. Interesting problem with your Blogs. I have two Blogs and can get to one or the other from my Dashboard. I also put a picture link on the main one, leading to the second one.
    Good luck if you try that.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting us know about the exhibit at Science World. I will be there! Omigosh!

    I don't know how to solve your blog problem. I have never heard of that before. You should be able to access either of them from your dashboard.

    Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have finally figured this out thanks to my son. I need to log out of one address and into the other in order to post there. Thanks Star, I have set up links as well in 'blogs that I follow'

    ReplyDelete