Friday, March 6, 2009




Spring is coming slowly to Vancouver this year. We have another sunny day today but the temperature has not really warmed up yet.



These are some of the first heliotropes I have seen in bloom.....






They are predicting possible snow for the weekend.








CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF "METIS"?


For the past few days I have been inputting family data into a free geneology data base called Legacy which I believe is sponsored or supported by the LDS church. This process has led me to wonder who can call themselves Metis. I have one ancestor who was a Cree Indian. All the other relatives I have been able to find so far have had British origins.



I know that the Metis Nation consists of a group of people originating in Ontario, Quebec and the Prairie provinces who have a mix of both native and other blood with the defining feature being some native blood. But at some point is that blood so diluted that the Metis lable cannot apply. Some of my extended family has applied for either Metis Status or Native Status but they have usually had more native blood through marriage.
Leather Jacket worn by Metis/Cree women


A few years back there was talk of decendants of native women who had lost their status by marrying outside of their tribe reacquiring status for themselves and their children. I wonder if it could have been done for women who were no longer living.

No comments:

Post a Comment