Wednesday, January 21, 2009


Have tried for three hours to upload a photo, and all of a sudden it turns up here when I start to type.  

This is my  great great grandfather Clement and some of his family.   It was taken in  1868 in Woolwich, England.  He is about 69 years old. His son, my great grandfather, would have been about 34, married and living in Nova Scotia.    

Below is the blurb that came with the photo.
 
 
Sort of Back L to R
 
Ann Barton b c 1835 Scarborough (Thomas John's 2nd wife), Esther Frances b 1855 Sunderland (Aunt Fannie), Clement Croft b 1799 Sunderland (or Newcastle) (I believe Sunderland) (Master Mariner - Thomas John, your Clement and James father), Unknown (I don't think it is a child, it may be Ann Barton's youngest sister who would have been about 25 when the photo was taken), Thomas John Croft b c1832 Sunderland.
 
Children at the front
 
Thomas Christopher Croft b c1867 Woolwich London, James Clement Croft b 15 Sep 1862, Lewisham, London (my Great grandfather), Mary Ellen Croft (Aunt Polly) b c1866 Woolwich London, William Thomas Croft b 1859 Sunderland
 
Esther Frances and William Thomas were the children of Thomas's first wife Esther Smith. She died the year William Thomas was born at the age of 23.
 
The only child not in the photo was Charles Edward Croft b 03/08/1871 Monkton, Pembroke
I knew Uncle Charlie (your Clement's nephew), he died during the very bad winter of 1963.
 
 The photo was taken I believe in 1868 or 1869 in probably Woolwich.
 
It's a coincidence that Thomas and your Clement both left Sunderland around 1860.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marlene, I was very interested to see your photo of Clement Croft and his family in your January 21, 2009, “Another Day Another Story”, blog. James Clement Croft is my great grandfather, Thomas John Croft my great great grandfather, and Clement Croft my great great great grandfather. I have a similar photo of James with his family, taken just after his wife died. With your photo I can now put faces to three generations that I have never met. Kind Regards Alan.

    ReplyDelete