Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 1

Our adventure has begun.

We departed Vancouver on May 1st under sunny skies.   My new car runs well.

Our destination - a modest four hours - to Princeton BC to stay overnight with my sister.
First fill-up of gasoline in the new car at Chilliwack ($26.00) and lunch at Tim Horton's ($15.00).

Traffic was good, roads were excellent considering that it is so early in the season,  singing along with good, golden oldies and the exhilaration of  the first day of vacation made for a perfect start. 

The first touristy spot was the Hope Slide.  (In 1965 after a mild earthquake, a slide deposited 70 meters of rock over the old highway).  Back on the road again, we saw a large brown bear on the side of the road in Manning Park and several deer browsing in open areas along the way. 

There are no photos yet but we both want to remember to keep our cameras out today.

Arriving to 18 degrees in Princeton, it smelled and felt like summer.   My sister had my favorite cranberry chicken ready for our dinner and rhubarb crisp and ice cream for dessert.  (back on my diet today!)

We watched birds at the bird feeders and the Similkaming River flowing past the back yard during dinner.  The little humming birds are just now back for the summer.

I am hoping to use this blog to track our meanderings and spending over the next six or so weeks.

Off to Jasper if all goes well today.

1 comment:

  1. and I'll be following you round Marlene.
    I've always wanted to see a real bear (not in a zoo and not too close). I suppose you are in a place that makes that possible, whereas I am not! ha ha
    While I was in Tennessee, I visited the Smoky Mountains several times. They have black bears there but they keep themselves to themselves. I don't know what I'd do if I really did see one. Play dead, I suppose!
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete