Monday, November 2, 2009

A Forest on My Deck

Here are the 12 trees I have transplanted over the last few days. I plan to grow them on my roof-top deck. All twelve trees were purchased from Canadian Tire and Super Store at the end of the season. I paid two dollars each for the larger trees and a dollar each for the three little ones. They are all cedars - four tall upright that can grow up to 12 feet high, five round ones that can grow up to about 6 feet and three golden cedar shrubs that should not grow more than a few feet tall. If they were all to survive for a few years, there would be no room on my deck.

I hope that enough will survive to form a screen from my neighbours across the street. They all have good root systems and had totally outgrown their previous pots. I am hoping that new branches will form in the spring to fill in some of the bare spots.

So far, this little garden of trees has cost me less that thirty dollars. I was able to scrounge/recycle most of the supplies - the stand was stairs from a hot tub, most of the pots came from a building site, the soil was mostly composted, and I was able to use left over fertilizer from the summer.

I will try to remember to update this next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment