Saturday, January 24, 2009

My plan was to post a blog each day.  But work has interfered with that this week.   Unfortunately I am working full time again for awhile and like many other lower mainland commuters have been dealing with increased traffic this week due to the bridge closure.

Hurray!  Today is Saturday.  I can do as I please.  I have already worked out today - joined Fitness World this week.  Like a million others I plan to lose weight and get stronger and healthier this year.  

And, I am drinking coffee again.   Now it is supposed to ward off Alzheimers.  Is coffee good for you or not?

I quit drinking coffee daily several years ago as it was supposed to help stop hot flashes and reduce my stress levels.  I would allow myself one cup a week (usually on Saturday) but I did drink more tea.  My caffeine intake definitely went down, my stress levels stayed the same and hot flashes have come and gone over the years.  I probably have less indigestion from it.  

At the time, caffeine could destroy your adrenals which help control hormone distribution and stress levels.  It depleted calcium in your system and I was concerned about bone loss.  My biggest source of caffeine was coffee.  Now we are told that coffee can delay the onset of Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's, type 2 Diabetes and cirrhosis of the liver.  It has lots of good antioxidants and is even a mild diuretic.  

But, what about the 'latte factor' if I start drinking coffee every morning.  I  have tested a few places around work and it will be an average of  about $2.00 per cup.  I used to do twi or three cups a day and often would buy for others.  I know I can make it at home but it never tastes as good. I like it freshly made.   Thank goodness I don't want or need to have the super gourmet stuff -http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/dining/23coff.html

Hope this link works, unlike one of my other ones.   This is Sunday now.  I abandoned this yesterday to get out to enjoy our sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment