Sunday, June 26, 2011

Summary of Trip Across Canada May/June 2010

 Our cross country adventure lasted 43 days.  We departed Vancouver on May 1st and returned June 12th.  We stayed in hotels for 29 nights and stayed with friends or family on the other days.   Our average cost per night of a hotel room was $98.11.  We stayed in a Super 8 nine times and four nights in a Howard Johnson.  The rest of the hotels were one nighters except for Comfort Inn which was two nights.

We drove 16,613 km or 10,323 miles at a cost of $1304.17 for gasoline.  That works out to 13 cents a mile or 8 cents a kilometer.   

Tolls – In Canada we paid $47.25 (includes bridge to PEI)
           In the U.S. we paid $56.95 plus we had tolls in NJ that were paid by our hosts who let us use their transponder. After Chicago, there were no more tolls. 

Food and spending probably accounted for about $3,000 which included about $500 for tipping alone.  In all, this trip probably cost us about $7,650 or $3,825 each.  That works to $89/day each, if my math is correct.  We stayed in decent hotels and ate well (too well if the truth be known) and did some shopping and all the sightseeing we wanted.   I think that I am fairly close the the budget I had.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That was quite the trip and I hope you have a whole host of pictures for memories! My mother is into scrapbooking and did a wonderful book on their recent trip.

    Is there any way I could get in touch with you about your ancestry project? I am most curious if things were resolved to your satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete