Monday, February 2, 2009

I either walked out of my job today or could have been sent home.  In over forty years of working I have never done anything like this.   Even though I have given my notice, or because I have, the stress levels are still increasing.   I have a supervisor that gives me nothing but negative reinforcement and hovers and nitpicks continually!   She has refined the idea of micromanagement to a real science.   I was given a very long, dirty, nasty job and she had it in her mind that she would watch me closely, keep me inputing as fast as I possibly could and let me know each and every time I slowed down or made an error.  When she asked to look at the first page of my work even before I had a chance to check it, I asked her to back off and give me space.  The best thing about this is that I might get out of this job five days early.

I am so looking forward to not going to work for awhile.

In the meantime, I get to blog.   

This is a link to a Vancouver web cam.    http://www.katkam.ca  
The camera is above the Burrard Street bridge between False Creek and English Bay.  It usually points south westward towards the Planetarium.   I often check it if I am going to Stanley Park or English Bay or the Westend because the weather can be clear and sunny there while it is raining in other parts of the city and vice versa.   

Now that I will be a lady of leisure, I need to look for a lot more entertainment.  A few years back, a group of us tried to find free and nearly free activities to do in Vancouver.   Over about six months we found things to do virtually every weekend, and sometimes on week nights, that did not cost much but were still entertaining.   The best were concerts in parks of which there was one somewhere almost every weekend in the summer and the Art Gallery which was 'by donation only' on Tuesdays.  I don't know if these are still available now.  I will have to start looking.  

Last weekend, I tried a walking group for the first time through Meetup which falls into this category of inexpensive events.  The weather was perfect for walking.  We met, (there was a group of about 12), on Commercial and followed the Central Valley Greenway Trail eastward.  When finished this trail will be a walking/biking route between Coquitlam and Science World.  While it is still a work in progress, the part I walked was paved and ready for light standards and landscaping with a few small pockets of excellent landscaping already in place.  I left the group at Gilmore Station after just over an hour of walking.  Everyone else carried on further eastward.  The group was interesting and the walk not too strenuous (all flat land); I will certainly go again.

The link for this group is    http://walkers.meetup.com/129/grow/

I will post this now and check the links to see if they work.
 


3 comments:

  1. Wow! A fellow Vancouverite! I have been ready to throttle one of my co-workers, so I know how you feel. I have a co-worker who think she is my supervisor. It drives me completely insane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading through your blog. For a beginning, you have a fabulous blog. I just read the story of your long-lost sister. Amazing!

    Keep writing and I'll keep reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to your experience with the boss. I had a similar situation a few years ago...My boss used to say "you dont LOOK busy enought." Even though the WORK was there!

    Chin up....at least you're free.

    ReplyDelete